Re: Use of Eel library

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 09:20, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Dave Malcolm wrote:
> > In the README for eel-2.0.0 it says:
> >
> > <quote>
> > If you wish to use Eel for a project, have patches, suggestions and/or
> > you wish to discuss whether some of the extensions belong in the
> > library they extend, please send mail to the Nautilus mailing list:
> >
> >         nautilus-list lists eazel com
> > </quote>
> >
> > So I thought I'd better email this list to say that I'm using Eel in a
> > project called Conglomerate (see www.conglomerate.org; it's a GPLed XML
> > editor for GNOME).
>
> Cool! It's nice that someone picks up conglomerate again.
>
> > Currently I only use a few pieces of eel-gdk-extensions.h
>
> Which pieces? (I'm interested because we want to move usable pieces of eel
> to lower levels of the platform.)

Specifically, I'm using:  eel_rectangle_contains, which I feel should go into
the core of gdk.

I also used: eel_rgb16_to_rgb, eel_gdk_color_to_rgb,
eel_gdk_rgb_to_color_spec, though they're no longer needed in my code.

I've been considering using some of the colour gradient code, though I've
avoided using it for dependency reasons.

> > I hope this is OK (and that the API is likely to stay relatively stable).
>
> It is OK, but you have to realize that the API, while not in practice very
> unstable, is not formally stable. We do API changes in Eel as needed for
> the development of nautilus, and the Eel releases are done in step with
> Nautilus.
>
> If you only use small parts of eel cut-and-paste is also a good way to
> give your users less dependency headaches.

I thought that this might be the case; I'm only really using a few small
functions at the moment.

So I suspect it'd be best if I just cut & paste them and lose the explicit
eel dependency.

Dave Malcolm