Re: [Nautilus-list] Desktop Wallpaper Changer

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 18:04, Enver ALTIN wrote:

    I agree with jrb; but I've just noticed that Galeon has a "Set as
    background" like thing if you right-click an image. So themes.org does
    that well by displaying images and providing a web site (I think it's
    too complicated for a regular-user).

I guess Galeon does it the same way as Windows; saving to somewhere in
your homedir a file called "web-browser-wallpaper.jpeg" (or png or
whatever) and making Gnome use that as the background image.

By the way, it is very easy to do a nautilus-script to set a picture as
a wallpaper:

-------
#!/bin/sh

background-properties-capplet --init-session-settings \
--background-image="`pwd`/$1"
--------

The above works for gnome 1.4, it just uses the current tiling setting
(if you have had a "stretched" wallpaper, it keeps using that). But
makes it handy to right click on a photo and use Scripts -> Set as
wallpaper or something like that. I use that a lot myself.

I have the impression that you can do the same for gnome2 by simply
using gconftool to set the right property. So the program to do the
image fetching etc could be completely separate from Nautilus.

What one probably could do is to make a bit of perl using
http://mah.everybody.org/hacks/perl/Image-Grab/ for example, and
pointing the script to sites like themes.org, www.deviantart.com etc -
there are a gazillion "artsy" sites out there with daily wallpapers
uploads etc.

So just make a script that looks at those sites' "new wallpapers" pages
periodically, downloads the images randomly (you could even write some
perl magic to choose the "better rated" images if the sites have some
kind of voting system). The script could then download the images on
local disk, preferably using some round-robin filename scheme so that
your disk does not fill up over time, and use those to change the
wallpaper periodically.

Dunno, would work probably.

Then again, I usually want to keep one wallpaper on the desktop for a
bit longer anyway..

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::