Re: [Nautilus-list] Desktop Wallpaper Changer

On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 22:12, Ryan Boder wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> What is suggests is to cycle through a list of background images, the
> way KDE does right now. That's nice and all but not really interesting.

Well, yes. That's nice. KDE was able to do it since the 1.x release but
as you say; most people don't even know what that is for and how that
works.

> I am one of those guys who talks everyone I know into using Linux, and
> ends up administrating for them when something in Gnome is not as user
> friendly as in Windows (I hate to admit it but it's true in many cases).
> Out of this I also get a good deal of non-biased usability testing from
> people who don't know squat about computers.

I agree.

> On the other hand, I look at Windows users who use a program called
> Webshots. They love it. Not only do they use it, but they are willing to
> install a new program just to use it. It's very easy, just a couple
> clicks to do it all.

Yeah, webshots thing is cool. BTW, the same thing could be applied to
themes too. What do you think? (Switching themes in each 2 hours or 2
days? Getting rid of that "all-the-same-gray-thing" look?)

> 3. Cycle through images on a background server

A background broadcaster thing is cool for those eye-candy lovers.

> 1. The user does not have to waste time looking for nice images.

Someone else has to waste time looking (creating?) nice images,
categorize them for others' use and such.

> 2. The user does not have to name them in a file system (that is a big
> deal for many non-computer geeks).

I agree.

> 3. The images are verified by the service provider so they all look
> nice.

That's what I'm worried about. Who's that "service provider" guy?

> What do you think?

Generally, cool for those end-users.

Good luck.
--