Re: [Nautilus-list] Desktop Wallpaper Changer

Ryan Boder <boder cmu edu> writes:

> > Why make it so complicated?  You could do with a shell script if you had
> > to.  Just download the image with wget (or something similar), and set
> > the schemas to the downloaded image.
>
> Nobody wants anything to be more complicated than it needs to be. But
> it's not as simple as just copying a file from a web server. Nautilus
> would need to know what channels are available, and what the files are
> in those channels. It would need to know when new files are included in
> a channel. It would need to know when new channels are available. It
> would have to have a gui to allow the user to select from the available
> channels, one that uses gtk widgets I guess.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could write an exciting nautilus
frontend to browse various channels.  I think making the images
available over webdav makes a lot of sense.  That way you can just
browse the directory remotely.

> How would you go about doing all that in sh? I don't use shell scripts
> for hardly anything, so maybe I am missing something.

sh was just an example, but you can do it with perl, python, or your
scripting language of choice.  All you'd have to do is get a list of
backgrounds and grab the appropriate one (with wget or something), and
then set the necessary schemas to let nautilus (or GNOME) use the bg.

-Jonathan