Re: PATCH for some random stuff.

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 09:03, Bruce Robert Pocock wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 10:38, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 07:04, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> > > some ideas that we threw around include:
> > > 1.automatic layout ala windows(apparently is hard to do with icon
> > > stretching)
>
> The most essential "magic" about the Windows Explorer auto-layout is
> that it's "text-like;" i.e. it moves the icon and reflows exactly as a
> paragraph of text would under the same circumstances...
>
> > Second, place the icons in standard left--right, top--bottom order.
> > Place each icon in the next available grid cell. If an icon is larger
> > than the grid cell it's going in, let it spill onto adjoining cells.
> >
> > The only trick I see is figuring out the grid pitch. Too small and many
> > icons would spill over into two, four, or more cells; too large and
> > small icons would be lost.
>
> It would seem to me that the grid pitch should be the default icon size
> at the current window zoom setting, no?

I suppose... I was just being more general. In the random case that you
had resized most icons by 1.1x, using the default size would make for a
very sparse layout.

Either way, it seems that there are two steps for figuring out how to do
windows-like placement with variable-sized icons:
(1) Define "optimum" layout.
(2) Figure out an algorithm to optimize layout.

I suspect (1) is harder than (2). :-)

--Ben