Re: PATCH for some random stuff.

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 07:04, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> Based on the conversation of the 3 daves on irc last nite (watson,camp
> and me), I'm only proposing this change as a short term annoyance fix
> for the icon view. In the long term I think we need to do some usability
> studies to determine how to make the icon view just work.
>
> some ideas that we threw around include:
> 1.automatic layout ala windows(apparently is hard to do with icon
> stretching)

I havn't followed this thread completely, but auto layout, even with
variable-sized items, seems reasonably easy to do:

First find out what the grid's horizontal and vertical pitch should be.
(This would involve looking at the max/average/most frequent dimentions
of the icons.)

Second, place the icons in standard left--right, top--bottom order.
Place each icon in the next available grid cell. If an icon is larger
than the grid cell it's going in, let it spill onto adjoining cells.

The only trick I see is figuring out the grid pitch. Too small and many
icons would spill over into two, four, or more cells; too large and
small icons would be lost.

OTOH: something tells me there's a dynamic-programing solution to this,
much like optimal line-wrapping.

--Ben