Re: first item selected in right-click menus

Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> said:

My guess is that eazel changed this since this is how windows does popup context menus. FWIW, I agree with marco and we should follow the gtk standard for this. If the gtk way of doing this is broken gtk needs to be fixed imho. (not saying gtk is broken in this respect, I don't really have an opinion other than consistency is good.)

It seems fine to make this match the rest of gtk, but I can explain the reason we changed this in the Eazel days. It wasn't a desire to imitate Windows, although Macintosh and Windows both make this same design choice.

The reason to not have an item highlighted when you first click is that if someone right clicks without realizing that's going to bring up a menu, you don't want that to quickly bring up and dismiss an unexpected menu and execute the first command in that menu. If the first command in every right-click menu is carefully examined to be sure that it's something harmless, then perhaps it's not a problem, but I think that's impractical.

I do think gtk needs to be fixed.

    -- Darin