Re: Mime types and nautilus

On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 19:21, David Moles wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 15:58, George Farris wrote:
> >
> > When wanting to copy a number of files cut and paste is nice but it
> > doesn't give any feedback and dragging and dropping files is just a pain
> > many times.  So I imagine:
> >
> > - User selects many files and drags them to the sidebar shelf.
> > - Files show up as icon list in sidebar or something similar so user can
> > see what they copied/moved.
> > - Change to new or other directory in Nautilus.
> > - Click anywhere in shelf doesn't have to be on icon and drag files to
> > right hand side.
> > - Viola files are copied/moved.
> > - Copy/move doesn't have to be done immediately as the user can always
> > see whats in the shelf until it's emptied/used.
> >
> > Basically it's a vfolder temporary storage space.  One could even build
> > up a group of files from different directories and then copy them.
>
> Sounds like the way the desktop used to work in MacOS System < (?) 7.0.

Similar.

FYI, this was implemented in C=64 GEOS way back when, too; and I think
it's in the SGI "Indigo Magic Desktop" file manager.

Main benefit vs. "cut and paste" or "direct" DnD is that you can "cut"
or "copy" from multiple source folders.

I would vote /against/ "doesn't have to be on icon," though. I think
that would horribly confuse some users' expectations of how DnD should
work.