Re: Geometry issues ...

> 	Ok - so the thing is that if metacity is broken in that respect then
> Havoc would want me to do the 'right thing' to put pressure on the WM
> people to get it right [ rather than have hacks that will screw with the
> WM when it does in fact work ].

The problem is that window size changes on a location basis. Even if the
the WM would restore the windows to a correct initial size, this still
wouldn't solve the problem with Nautilus. In Nautilus I want my window
to have one size when I open my 'Music' folder from the desktop and
another size when I open my 'Work' folder from the desktop.

Also, I recall Havoc saying a while back that currently the WM can't
reliably restore window sizes because of some problem that I can't
really remember now and that this requires some new standard or
something. Anyway, he said that until then apps should be responsible to
restore their windows correctly. Is that correct Havoc?

> 	Nevertheless - it's quite possible to serialise the last closed window
> size for the non 'new-window' mode - but not in the meta-data, perhaps a
> GConf key.

That seems like a bad hack to me when the real thing that needs fixing
is the metadata system.

Storing the window size for a location really should be done in the
metadata. I think fixing this to work right shouldn't be difficult at
all, I will try and make a patch this weekend.

- Frank