Re: Integration of samba in nautilus

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 12:46, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 13:29, Johnathan Bailes wrote:
> > There is no way to smbmount "permanently" a windows network share to
> > some memorable location with nautilus.
>
> 	You can have a shortcut 'desktop' file in some directory that points at
> it that might be almost as good;

That is why I mentioned the bookmarking network locations idea.  Someone
said that they wondered if anyone ever bookmarked file system locations
and this was a good example of its use.

> > Also, as you mentioned there is currently no Network Neighborhood icon
>
> 	This is also just a matter of a desktop file that points at smb:/// -
> the problem is, the samba support is not shipped as standard, and at
> last check was pretty buggy and incomplete. So it doesn't seem the best
> idea to point everyone at it, but perhaps I'm behind the times.

Yeah, it still acts funky and I end up using jagsmm or LinNeighborhood
myself.  Why?  Because I cannot browse as myself or group scan as myself
and that in an NT/samba world is important but they are other features I
also mentioned in the configuration idea.

I do NOT believe that there should be a Network Locations (I hate the
Network Neighborhood term actually) icon unless there is some way to
configure network browsing and unless the network is available.  We can
do this with removable media with Nautilus why not samba networking.
Think of it, if the MASTER BROWSER for the Default NT domain answers on
Nautilus start-up then and only then create the Network icon.  Just an
idea and all.

--
Johnathan Bailes	BAE Systems ESI

 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn
---