Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus-Mozilla proposal

On 6 Apr 2002, David Fallon wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 11:15, Alex Larsson wrote:
> > CONS:
> > -----
> > * Another dependency added. In order to get a sane user experience we
> >   would probably have to make the nautilus packages require galeon.
> >   (Although it would not be needed when compiling nautilus.)
> >   In fact, this seems to be a bad circular dependency, since galeon would
> >   BuildRequire nautilus and nautilus would (runtime)Require galeon. It may
> >   be solvable though.
> > * We lose control of the web-browsing parts of Nautilus. This means that
> >   parts of the UI is defined outside of nautilus, and may evolve in ways
> >   we don't agree with.
>
> On the other hand, having the galeon view will hopefully encourage both
> sets of developers to come together with the UI issues.

Yes.

> > * Nautilus and Galeon have different release cycles, so getting a working
> >   release could be painful at times.
>
> My (limited) understanding of such things, esp with the naut-mozilla
> incompatibilities, is that the api for mozilla was in a state of flux,
> so each moz release required a new nautilus release with the minor
> tweaks necessary to get things back in sync. However, with the nautilus
> view as api, are things changing that much? I thought that things have
> basically stabilized. Or am I missing something?

That's not really what i meant. Say you want to release a stable nautilus,
but the current cvs version of galeon is really unstable for some reason,
and the last stable version didn't work with the current mozilla or
nautilus. I agree that the Nautilus interface will be pretty stable
though, so it shouldn't be that bad. And the mozilla interfaces will
hopefully be frozen soon as they reach 1.0.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an all-American hunchbacked vagrant from a doomed world. She's a wealthy
Buddhist Hell's Angel with a flame-thrower. They fight crime!