Re: [Galeon-devel] Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus-Mozilla proposal

El sáb, 06-04-2002 a las 21:15, Alex Larsson escribió:

> * People claim the galeon view is good (I didn't get it to work)

What's the problem? It should be as easy to build and run as any other
NautliusView for gnome 1...

I'm interested because I'm the supposed maintainer of it.

> CONS:
> -----
> * Another dependency added. In order to get a sane user experience we
>   would probably have to make the nautilus packages require galeon.
>   (Although it would not be needed when compiling nautilus.)
>   In fact, this seems to be a bad circular dependency, since galeon would
>   BuildRequire nautilus and nautilus would (runtime)Require galeon. It may
>   be solvable though.

Currently, you are requiring Mozilla and another package (the mozilla
view) to achieve the same thing. Using galeon instead of the current
mozilla view is just replacing one package with another, because galeon
has not any dependency that nautilus doesn't have already (besides
mozilla)

> * We lose control of the web-browsing parts of Nautilus. This means that
>   parts of the UI is defined outside of nautilus, and may evolve in ways
>   we don't agree with.

galeon-devel is always open to discussions about usability and
consistency. Galeon aimed since the first moment to be as consistent as
possible with the rest of gnome. For example, it didn't create an
inconsitent custom zoom control ;-)

Really, the galeon nautilus view tries to be as consistent as any other
view.

> * Nautilus and Galeon have different release cycles, so getting a working
>   release could be painful at times.

This is true for mozilla and nautilus too. In the past, the nautilus
mozilla view has been always out of synch with mozilla, while galeon has
always been updated in less than a week when a new mozilla version
arrives (actually, it's updated the next day sometimes)

> * More packaging work for distros to make a nice working setup.
True.

> In the end i think what decides it for me is that we have nobody working
> on the nautilus mozilla view, while galeon has an active developer
> community. So I'm in favor of using the galeon view.
>
> But i'd like to hear Darins opinion, and the opinion of the galeon
> developers.

Me too. I would like to see the galeon view used in nautilus as default,
but I understand that others may think that this is not be the best
thing for nautilus.

Being a galeon developer, I know that keeping up to date with mozilla is
quite a bit of work. Duplicating that work in gnome is pointless, IMHO.

Ricardo.

--
Ricardo Fernández Pascual
ric users sourceforge net