Re: [Nautilus-list] script w/ mime handling

> What is wrong with the proposal from Vlad Harchev:
> http://lists.eazel.com/pipermail/nautilus-list/2001-April/002744.html
>
> In particular, I think the idea of having special metafiles associated
> with each script is a good one.  It makes script installation as simple
> as cp scipt_name.* ~/.nautilus/scripts...  It shouldn't introduce any
> compatibility problems, etc.  Does anyone see any problems with this?

The best aspect of the current scripts design is its simplicity. Any
executable file can appear in and be used from the Scripts menu just by
putting it in the hopefully quite evident correct location.

It would be great if future enhancements to the scripts stuff could maintain
this simplicity. For example, it would be better for a separate metafile to
be optional rather than required (i.e. there are default values for
everything, used for scripts that don't have a separate metafile). It would
be better if scripts didn't need a specific extension, since you can
currently use scripts made a variety of different ways (binaries, shell
scripts, perl scripts, etc) that might have other reasons to have specific
extensions.

John