Re: [Nautilus-list] monitoring the metafiles..

Hi,

> It just occurred to me that another possibility would be talking to the
> Nautilus metadata server using CORBA. Just before we released Nautilus 1.0,
> we changed things so that all metadata I/O is done by a server (which is
> currently in the Nautilus executable) so that metadata changes by components
> would not trample over changes being made in Nautilus and vice versa.

maybe just write a command-line client program for this metadata server
and distribute it with nautilus. Scripts would use the client program to
change/query the metadata:

$ nautilus-meta-client somefile --set-emblem=Important
$ nautilus-meta-client somefile --set-icon=icon.svg

This could even be extended to allow further remote-controlling of
nautilus:

$ nautilus-meta-client somefile --move-to-trash

and

$ nautilus-meta-client somefile --view	#use default viewer
$ nautilus-meta-client somefile --view-with=eog-component

I think anyone can imagine the possibilities that such a tool would make
available.

Christian Glodt