Re: [Nautilus-list] Suggestion: Red Carpet

> If I had time to hack on Nautilus on top of all my other projects, I'd
> start sending patches to remove features, not to add them.  Since I
> don't have the time, I'll have to live with whatever the contributors
> do (and give them my sincere thanks).

What features do you think should be removed?

> External, optional CORBA-based plugins are fine, of course, but the
> default Nautilus installation could already stand a few weeks on
> slimfast.  I see no harm (and much good) in leaving package
> management, web browsing, MP3 playing, RSS headlines, etc. etc. in
> entirely separate apps and letting Nautilus get good at its core
> functionality.

The modules you mention above are already components. They can be disabled
in preferences.  If
you feel that they are adding unacceptable bloat during install, perhaps an
additonal components
package can be created.

>Now that there are no VC's to dazzle, you don't have
> to pretend that Nautilus is more than just a (good) file manager.

I can assure you that we were not out to dazzle venture capitalists.  It was
the farthest thing from
my mind actually.

Gene Z. Ragan
Former Eazel Employee