Re: [Nautilus-list] Suggestion: Red Carpet

Gene Z. Ragan writes:

 > > External, optional CORBA-based plugins are fine, of course, but the
 > > default Nautilus installation could already stand a few weeks on
 > > slimfast.  I see no harm (and much good) in leaving package
 > > management, web browsing, MP3 playing, RSS headlines, etc. etc. in
 > > entirely separate apps and letting Nautilus get good at its core
 > > functionality.
 >
 > The modules you mention above are already components. They can be
 > disabled in preferences.  If you feel that they are adding
 > unacceptable bloat during install, perhaps an additonal components
 > package can be created.

On my 3GB notebook harddrive, they do add a fair bit of unwanted
bloat.  The sheer size of the package also tend to put off first-time
users (see some of the caustic comments on SlashDot for an example).
I've disabled as much as I can, and have Nautilus's reported resident
size down to 9MB (with six forked copies/threads, that is) before I
open any windows, so it's not too bad.  I have not yet figured out how
to disable the nautilus-throbber process once a window is open.

I'm not quite home yet, though, because parts of the Nautilus core
depend on the components.  Without nautilus-mozilla, for example, I
cannot open URL links from the desktop or even view the online
Nautilus help.

 > >Now that there are no VC's to dazzle, you don't have to pretend
 > >that Nautilus is more than just a (good) file manager.
 >
 > I can assure you that we were not out to dazzle venture
 > capitalists.  It was the farthest thing from my mind actually.

Apologies for the unfair assumption.

All the best,

David

--