[Nautilus-list] Directory Descriptions (Was: I am going to implement cut, copy, paste forfiles)

Am 22 Mar 2001 01:42:15 +0200 schrieb Jussi Hagman:
> Quoting Matthew Walton (mxw00u Cs Nott AC UK):
> > Julian Missig wrote:
> >
> > > I too would like to see the shelf implemented. Personally, I'd like to
> > > see it such that there are keyboard shortcuts for "move to shelf" and
> > > "copy to shelf" and "move from shelf" - which would be very similar to
> > > the copy, cut, and paste method which windows uses.
> >
> > I'd also like to see that. Having a visible shelf instead of an invisible
> > clipboard would be excellent,
> [..]
> As my friend mentioned, the shelf approach could be confusing to a
> beginner so there probably could be also the cut/copy/paste -approach
> implemented to the beginner -mode. (Atleast people having Windows
> experience are familiar with ccp-style of managing files)

Strange... I discussed exactly the same feature with someone some time
ago. There seems to be a need for this ;-) . So maybe you're interested
in another idea we considered useful:

The first - if not most - irritating thing to a new Linux user is the
file structure. It's great from the system's point of view, but it
really takes some time until the user gets the idea how it works. Since
most newbies will take their first steps in exploring the filesystem in
Nautilus, why can't Nautilus help them finding out what a particular
directory is for? In the Beginner's mode there could be a little "What's
this directory for?" icon in the sidebar, that brings up a description
of what "/usr/local" or "/sbin", etc. is all about. It would help a lot
of the newbies I know....

    Gernot.