[Nautilus-list] Help - Blank GNOME desktop or root warning messages after installing Nautilus

Hi all,

Just installed Nautilus release 1.0 on RedHat 7... finally resolved all the
package dependencies, got a clean install, typed 'nautilus', got a warning
message about running it as root, and then it loaded fine. Very impressive,
I must say... until I reconfigured X to run at a higher res. Now if I log on
as root and run nautilus, all I get is the same warning message 'You are
running Nautilus as root...' again and again - click 'OK', bit of disk
thrashing, then the same message again.

Worse, if I log on as a normal user, I get a completely blank Gnome
desktop - no icons, no panel, no pop-up menu - nothing - and after about ten
seconds it dumps me back at the Gnome login screen - whether this is an
actual log-out or the X server dying, I can't establish. Anyone encountered
this problem or know a fix?

Thanks for your time,

-D-

Dylan Beattie <dylan zepler org>