[Nautilus-list] segfault on start

Hello,

  Since Nautilus has reached 1.0 I thought I'd give it a go, and
although it compiles with no problems, I'm having real problems in
running it. When I type nautilus, I get:

** WARNING **: GConf error:
  Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
 Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error:
IDL:CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0

  hundreds of times and then:

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation

Gdk-WARNING **:     ISO8859-1

Segmentation fault

  Doing a ps afterwards, shows that the following processes have been
launched:

oafd --ac-activate --ior-output-fd=10
gconfd --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:gconfd:19991118 --oaf-ior-fd=10
nautilus-throbber --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:nautilus_throbber_factory
--oaf-ior-fd=12

 VERY occasionally, despite the GConf errors, it actually runs and I get
a nautilus window with files in it. This works for a while and then
segfaults a few minutes later. I've recompiled EVERYTHING from glibc
(I'm running 2.2.2) to the latest nautilus essential libraries like
bonobo and oaf.

  Also, in the tests directory, test-nautilus-async-activation works but
most of the tests give something along the lines of:

** WARNING **: GConf error:
  Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
 Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error:
IDL:CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0
IMLIB ERROR: Cannot allocate XImage buffer
IMLIB ERROR: Cannot allocate XImage buffer
IMLIB ERROR: Cannot allocate XImage buffer

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkwindow.c: line 1406 (gdk_window_get_visual):
assertion `window != NULL' failed.
Segmentation fault

  I've downloaded and compiled the latest Imlib, 1.9.9, but it makes no
difference.

  I'm running evolution, which seems equally bleeding edge and seems to
use oaf and GConf so I'm completely stumped. Everything else on my
system works with no problems. Has anyone got any ideas?? Thanks very
much...

           Andrew

--
|Andrew Williams | andrew nightshade demon co uk|