Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: when that call to nautilus_directory_force_reload is not needed

On 14 Jun 2001 10:07:14 +0200, Zbigniew Chyla wrote:
> On Wed, 2001-06-13 at 22:08:29, Darin Adler wrote:
>
> > (...)
> > If you open a second window to the same location, however, the process of
> > opening the new window causes Nautilus to get fresh contents (which do get
> > displayed in both windows), and that's because of feedback from Nautilus
>
> Why not check if the location we're opening in the new window is displayed
> somewhere else and not clearing the cache in that case?

The problem is that even if the files are displayed in another view, we
can't be sure that the other view knows about the most recent changes.
When FAM is installed, we are notified when there are changes, so there
is no need check if there are changes until we are told by FAM that
there really have been changes....

As Darin mentioned before, when the user opens a new window they expect
to see NEW contents and there are only 3 ways for this to happen 1) Use
FAM 2) Have Nautilus magically press "Reload" for the user 3) Make the
user press "Reload".  Clearly 1) is optimal, 2) works but is slower, and
3) is just plain broken...

This really shouldn't be a big deal though, FAM is our friend. =)