Re: [Nautilus-list] Galeon, Nautilus, Mozilla must share profile information

"Jeffrey W. Baker" wrote:

> I propose that Galeon, Nautilus, Mozilla, and other embedded Mozilla
> implementations should share profile information.  I find it very silly
> that I should have to change my proxy preferences, for example, in three
> different places.  It is also silly to have three out-of-sync bookmark
> lists, and three different copies of the history.
>
> This is bad for the user.  The preferences and profiles should be central.
> Please to discuss.
>
> Regards,
> Jeffrey Baker

Right now, the Mozilla profile code assumes that only one process will
peek and poke preferences, cache, etc.

So you cant just "share" them between 2 different processes.  I think
unpredictable things will happen if you try to do that, probably
corruption of user's data.

I think it is highly improbable that this will change by the time
Mozilla 1.0 ships.

For the specific example of the proxy preference, there already exists a
GConf key that is used by gnome-vfs and the Mozilla component in
Nautilus: /system/gnome-vfs/http-proxy and
/system/gnome-vfs/use-http-proxy.

Now, one way to work around this limitation in Mozilla would be to write
a bridge between the two preference systems.  Something that is hacked
into Mozilla to reflect the mozilla preferences in the GConf space.

I don't think its hard to write this hack, its just a matter of someone
doing it.

-re