Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus user testing at MIT

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

Le jeu, 04 jan 2001 22:30:43, Miles Lane a écrit :

<snip>

Like I wrote, you've got a whole screen to give the user
feedback, no need to take out the mouse cursor. And an app
can wait for very different reasons, there's no need at all
to assume no other app should be launched / used meanwhile
to speed up the launch.

Sorry.  My note contains a typo. Instead of:

   This does mean that the mouse should become unusable
   while the hourglass is displayed.

I meant to write:

   This does *not* mean that the mouse should become unusable
   while the hourglass is displayed.

Anyhow, yes, I agree that the UI should remain fully usable
while the cursor displays the hourglass.

Again, the reason I like the hourglass is just that it is
a *known* mechanism for informing the huge base of Windoze
users that the OS is launching your application.  Why have
we got to reinvent the wheel?  Look, if you want to develop
an easy-to-use environment, you are going to have to work
with people's expectations.  Either that or you had better
be an absolutely brilliant UI designer who can make everything
feel very safe and clear.  I have met plenty of Windo$e users
who *freak* when you move their icons to a new location on
the desktop or change their color scheme.

Now I am tired of discussing this.  Do as you wish.

Good luck,

	Miles