Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus user testing at MIT

Le jeu, 04 jan 2001 21:09:44, Miles Lane a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>

> > There are extensive discussions on this subject in the
> > gnome-gui list archive. You can look them up. This is a
> > difficult subject since the usual solution (hourglass)
> is
> > basiquely *WRONG* in a real multitasking environment.
>
> I disagree.  What is wrong is blocking any additional
> user interaction with the OS/desktop.

Therefore you do *not* prempt the mouse pointer which is a
major tool for interracting with the system. You've got a
whole screen to provide some feedback without hijacking one
of the most important user tools. A user might know some app
will take a little time to launch and the last thing to do
is to stop it from pointing somewhere else with an hourglass
at launch time.

Please read the gnome-gui list archive. There were a *lot*
of suggestions to provide some feedback, all of them *much*
better than the f*-up hourglass.

--
Nicolas