Re: [Nautilus-list] Xft Anti-aliasing, Libart antialiasing?

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 04:32, Alex Larsson wrote:

    Ummm. I don't quite follow this. But it is true that hinting is normally
    done targeting aliased rendering. And it is still a matter of debate
    whether you should hint antialiased fonts, and if so, how you should do
    it.

Hinting really makes small sized text more readable, like it was pointed
out already (sorry for jumping late on this, been the weekend and stuff
:-)

I think I better just say "I agree with Alex here" instead of repeating
what has been said. Personally I find the blurry font rendering harder
to read, and it also forces me to use larger font size which is not that
fun for a small screen, like laptops have.

    My take is that we should probably let this be configurable somewhere and
    experiment with it.

Is it possible to turn hinting off on ~/.xftconfig or something? That
would make it easy to play with it. At least gimp-freetype plug-in lets
you toggle hinting with a checkbox, so I guess it is possible with
freetype library..?

And like jtl pointed out, if the hinter is doing a not-that-optimal job
it does not mean hinting is a bad idea in general.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::