Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus: room for improvement

On 04 Aug 2001 16:47:54 +0100, S A Jarrett-Sprague wrote:

> Nautilus is alot better now than it was at the 1.0.2 release but there
> are five things I miss when comparing it to konqi:.
>
> 1. I can't look into tar.gz files (minor issue but irritating.)

This is a gnome-vfs bug, and I really don't know if the gnome-vfs people
made progress on this.

> 2. I can't click onto a tar.gz file and extract it (very irritating).

You can make a script to do this.

> 3. When I arrive at a folder where I want to do some compiling I can't
> just click on a menu and get a terminal associated with this folder, so
> I can just type ./configure, su etc. (very irritating).

You can get the terminal-here script floating around or, even better,
make your own compiling script!

You really should look a bit on the scripting capabilities of Nautilus.
It's WayCool(TM).

> 4. Split-windows. (minor issue but nice feature to have when copy and
> pasting from  one local directory to another or from an ftp site to a
> local directory.

Giving the Mac background from some Nautilus TopMen(TM), unlikely to
happen.

--
- Cesar