Re: [Nautilus-list] Integration of gmc and nautilus desktopdirectories.

On 16 Apr 2001 10:48:00 +0000, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > I wouldn't have any problems with the desktop being something like
> > ~/Desktop. Plus I think most windows people can handle this as the
> > Desktop in windows is c:\windows\Profiles\iain\Desktop (or
> > c:\windows\Desktop if there's no user setup)
>
> My long time windows using roommate lists this in his top 10 things he
> hates about Windows.

Yes, but seeing as we've removed the c:\windows\Profiles\iain crap and
replaced it with ~/ I don't see that it's that much of a problem. We
cannot control what goes into the ~ directory. applications may dump
random crap in there, a core file may appear there. We can have all the
extra stuff we want (.hidden files, rename files to pretty things) but
in the end, nothing is going to be perfect, because we cannot anticipate
everything that will happen. Until we do have control of all the apps a
user is likely to run (by GNOME 2.2 surely :) having the Desktop being ~
is not a good idea.

iain