Re: [Nautilus-list] Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 02:44:37PM +0200, Martin Baulig wrote:
> Why can't you just add a configuration optioin to the "Advanced" or
> "Intermediate" user level to let you configure whether the desktop should
> be ~ or ~/Desktop ?

I haven't tried this in Nautilus, but I can say that in gmc it drove
me nuts that clicking on a terminal icon brought up a terminal running
a shell in ~/desktop and not $HOME.  I never knew if it was a bug or
a poor design or what, it never occurred to me it was intended!

So if there is a directory used to contain links to things that aer
shown on the desktop, please don't use it as if it were a login
directory.  I expect a file manager to show my login directory when
I start it, and to have a different set of icons on the desktop, that
I choose to put there.  Well, in gmc's case, since they were all useless
to me, I tried to stop gmc running altogether, but it keeps coming back :)

Maybe user testing showed that people were confused by this, though,
and wanted the things on the desktop to be the contents of a default
startup folder??

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net - http://www.holoweb.net/