Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus installer sucking memory

Jason Tackaberry <tack linux com> writes:

> Installing Nautilus on my poor RH6.2 box with 96MB RAM and:
>
>   PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT  LIB %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
> 17459 root      12   0 99824  52M  1180 D       0  7.7 56.8   9:09 eazel-instal
>
> What is this thing doing?  Is it really using all that RAM or is it
> leaking memory?  My system is grinding away to a screeching halt right
> now.  I fear I may have to abort the install.

It's bad memory leaks as Eskil said. We have some possible fixes but
they haven't been uploaded to the server yet; they await testing.

> Stability isn't great.  Nautilus crashes frequently which means I can't
> really use it.

If you can reproduce any of these crashes reliably, please file bug
reports in bugzilla.eazel.com. It would be extra helpful if you could
run nautilus in gdb so you can generate and provide a stack trace.

> Performance isn't great either.  I have a dual PIII-900
> with 384MB RAM and certain things are sluggish -- in particular
> selecting multiple files with the mouse, an effect similar to efm's
> which performs adequately on my Celeron 375.  Yes, I know, it's a
> preview release.  You're excused. :)

Please file a bug report on anything that you find unacceptably slow
in partocular.

> That said, Nautilus has a lot of really cool ideas, not to mention some
> damn sexy eye candy.  (The anti-aliased TT fonts _really_ make a huge
> difference!) I'd love to see Eazel succeed with Nautilus, so I'll be
> filing plenty of bug reports, and generally helping out where I can.

We appreciate it.

> Great work, Eazel!

You should thank the whole Nautilus team, not just those of us who are
at Eazel, but thanks! :-)

 - Maciej