Re: [Muine] Feature Requests/Usability Improvements

Hey everyone,

First of all thanks for the responses!

First of all in regards to responses to the idea of the "Skip to..." slider. The "Skip to..." menu item was what I'm talking about sorry that I wasted your time.

I suppose now my only complaint would be with "Discoverability" and the ambiguity of the "Skip to..." menu item. I have used Muine for a fair while, and I didn't see the item in the menu or at least I didn't recognise it to be the slider that I wanted. Is there a more elegant way this could be implemented?

Perhaps in a more discoverable, less ambigous fashion. In my opinion a slider in the main menu pane would work, although I am aware that "clutter" is a big design issue with Muine :)

Now, in regards to the "Play/Pause" button.

My major complaint as it stands with the "Play" button is that once a song is playing it performs a completely different function to the one stated on the button. The button has "Play" written on it and the ">" forward arrow, but when you click on it (when the song is already playing) it doesn't "Play" it pauses. In fact it is doing the complete opposite of playing, it is pausing!

In response to the comments about old tape players (although I think I agree Aaron's comment that tape player interfaces aren't perhaps *the* thing to emulate in Muine), it is my recollection that their play button also had the "II" pause symbol so that they looked like this "> / ||" (exscuse the crappy ASCII art :) ). So they didn't just have "Play" as muine does, but also the pause symbol to indicate the dual functionality of the button.

I am also fairly certain that if the designers of tape players had had a way to show this in a more elegant fashion (ie. with a button that changes depending upon the state of "playing" that the song is in.) then they would have used it. Rather than using the somewhat clumsier (although I think still better than the situation that Muine is in at the moment) " > / || ".

Looking forward to hearing your responses!

Thomas McMahon