Re: [Muine] m4a support? (NEVERMIND)

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 10:33 +0200, Yo'av Moshe wrote:
> I'm just wondering - RhythmBox does play m4a files, and it's GPL and
> uses GStreamer as well. What's the difference?

The issue isn't the m4a file-format, but the license for the library
that he was using to read the information.  There are other libraries
for reading the m4a format that don't have the same license.

> Also, what's the difference between mp4.h to mp4ff.h?
> I have both on my system, though I'm not sure from which packages.

The mp4.h he is using is from MPEG4IP, and mp4ff.h is from faad, though
faad also appears to contain a file called mp4.h that is completely
unrelated to the one from MPEG4IP.

> Both media-plugins/gst-plugins-faad and media-libs/faad2 (the Gentoo
> packages) are marked as GPL-2.

Yes, faad is GPL, the MPL license came from MPEG4IP.

> Anyway, thanks so much for the patch, I guess I'll wait for the new one :-)
> Yo'av.

Actually, I don't see any reason you can't apply the patch to a local
copy of Muine, just so long as you're not distributing the combined
source.

--
Matthew Good <muine matt-good net>