Re: [Muine] m4a support? (NEVERMIND)

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 05:14:10AM -0500, Matthew Good wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 10:33 +0200, Yo'av Moshe wrote:
> > I'm just wondering - RhythmBox does play m4a files, and it's GPL and
> > uses GStreamer as well. What's the difference?
>
> The issue isn't the m4a file-format, but the license for the library
> that he was using to read the information.  There are other libraries
> for reading the m4a format that don't have the same license.
>
> > Also, what's the difference between mp4.h to mp4ff.h?
> > I have both on my system, though I'm not sure from which packages.
>
> The mp4.h he is using is from MPEG4IP, and mp4ff.h is from faad, though
> faad also appears to contain a file called mp4.h that is completely
> unrelated to the one from MPEG4IP.

it seems that faad *also* distributes the mpeg4ip stuff as part of their
packaging for some reason, that I can't fathom. For now, apply the patch
locally if you want m4a support, and I'll try to find time to hack up a
new version using *only* the faad2 stuff. grr.

-pete

--
Peter Johanson
<latexer gentoo org>