Re: [Muine] album/song suggestion

On T, 2005-02-22 at 16:21 -0500, Matthew Good wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 23:11 +0200, Jorn Baayen wrote:

> > > I'm not sure if there's a defined Gnome convention for this, but it's
> > > certainly inconsistent with the other Gnome apps I've seen use this
> > > expansion widget.  The two that come to mind are "Search for files..."
> > > and the download progress dialog in Synaptic which both put the arrow at
> > > the left of the window.  (The Eclipse contact editor is another, but it
> > > puts a button with an arrow just to the right of the label rather than
> > > using the real widget.)
> > >
> > > I know that the arrow would bump the label to the right a bit, but I
> > > think it would be good to stay consistent with other Gnome apps.
> >
> > That way it would still be incosistent:
> > All the expander widgets in gnome specify what they do as label. "Show
> > more options", etc. "Playlist (XX)" does not specify what clicking the
> > widget will do. The "Playlist (XX)" label is really a label describing
> > the contents of the playlist widget. (And therefore would be
> > inappropiate for an "action" widget, imho)
>
> Ok, yeah actually now I agree with that.
>
> > Ideally, we would have the expander widget *above* the playlist label,
> > show/hiding the entire playlist section. Unfortunately, this is very
> > ugly indeed.
>
> Well, "Playlist" could be changed to "Show Playlist" so it describes an
> action.
>
> With that I'm not sure if it makes sense to keep the time remaining at
> the end of the label or not.  The time remaining could be moved to the
> line above, though that increases the window's size and would make it
> less clear what the context of the remaining time was.

Having "Show Playlist (XX)" would be pretty confusing I think. We'd be
mixing up actions and information.

But anyway, like this we are back with the problem of the label shifting
right a bit. (This wouldn't be such a big deal if the playlist was
"extra information" and hidden by default, like with all other gnome
apps using expanders, but the playlist is not "extra" - it is pretty
much the core of the app)