Re: [Muine] album/song suggestion

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 23:11 +0200, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> On T, 2005-02-22 at 16:06 -0500, Matthew Good wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 22:44 +0200, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> > > Here's a mockup for an "expand playlist" feature...
> > > http://www.jbaayen.dds.nl/expand.png
> > >
> > > Not necessarily trivial to implement though, as the stock expander
> > > widget doesnt support what i'm trying to do there.
> >
> > I'm not sure if there's a defined Gnome convention for this, but it's
> > certainly inconsistent with the other Gnome apps I've seen use this
> > expansion widget.  The two that come to mind are "Search for files..."
> > and the download progress dialog in Synaptic which both put the arrow at
> > the left of the window.  (The Eclipse contact editor is another, but it
> > puts a button with an arrow just to the right of the label rather than
> > using the real widget.)
> >
> > I know that the arrow would bump the label to the right a bit, but I
> > think it would be good to stay consistent with other Gnome apps.
>
> That way it would still be incosistent:
> All the expander widgets in gnome specify what they do as label. "Show
> more options", etc. "Playlist (XX)" does not specify what clicking the
> widget will do. The "Playlist (XX)" label is really a label describing
> the contents of the playlist widget. (And therefore would be
> inappropiate for an "action" widget, imho)

Ok, yeah actually now I agree with that.

> Ideally, we would have the expander widget *above* the playlist label,
> show/hiding the entire playlist section. Unfortunately, this is very
> ugly indeed.

Well, "Playlist" could be changed to "Show Playlist" so it describes an
action.

With that I'm not sure if it makes sense to keep the time remaining at
the end of the label or not.  The time remaining could be moved to the
line above, though that increases the window's size and would make it
less clear what the context of the remaining time was.

--
Matthew Good <muine matt-good net>