Re: [Muine] Embedded album covers/First Time Dialog

> - you were leaking the GdkPixbufLoader

Mmm - yeah ...

> - you were creating a Metadata structure in GetCoverImage. This meant
> creating a Metadata struct twice for each loaded song, which wasn't
> exactly optimal. The metadata struct is passed as an argument to
> GetCoverImage now.

Yeah - that's why I mentioned yesterday about making the Metadata struct
persist in the Song - I didn't see that obvious alternative [In my head
I thought the two bits of code ran at different times ...]

> But, those are fixed and in CVS now. Thanks! :)

Great - I hope it works for everyone!  Reason for 0.4 maybe ... ;)

> > I also made some changes to the "first-time" dialog, I didn't make much
> > sense to me [Certainly didn't "help" me as a user ...]
> >
> > The patch just changes the wording and swaps around the default [I guess
> > most people wouldn't run a music player before having any music on their
> > computer]
> >
> > Patch at :-
> > http://www.leewillis.co.uk/muine/first_time.patch
>
> Yea, I agree the current solution isn't exactly elegant.. with huge
> tooltips and all... however, but I think we should do the following at
> startup:
>
> - Just use ~/Music if it exists

Agree - although I think it should probably be $DESKTOP/Music or
similar, but that kind of needs a whole set of desktop "standard"
locations ...

> - Promote the use of a standard music dir like ~/Music, so that ripping
> apps dump their files straight into a managed folder

& don't forget web browsers saving downloaded content there ...

> - Allow "power users" to keep using their /data/mp3

Yes - especially for people with dual boot machines whose mp3s are on a different partition :)
Also are you thinking that we should have iPod support? [or is that
something you want to avoid?]

> - Create a Playlists folder for storing the playlists if it doesn't
> exist

Agree completely.

Thanks for the feedback on the patch.
Lee