Re: [Muine] Embedded album covers/First Time Dialog

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 19:58, Lee Willis wrote:
> > - you were leaking the GdkPixbufLoader
>
> Mmm - yeah ...
>
> > - you were creating a Metadata structure in GetCoverImage. This meant
> > creating a Metadata struct twice for each loaded song, which wasn't
> > exactly optimal. The metadata struct is passed as an argument to
> > GetCoverImage now.
>
> Yeah - that's why I mentioned yesterday about making the Metadata struct
> persist in the Song - I didn't see that obvious alternative [In my head
> I thought the two bits of code ran at different times ...]

Ah ok.. tsk tsk ;)

> > But, those are fixed and in CVS now. Thanks! :)
>
> Great - I hope it works for everyone!  Reason for 0.4 maybe ... ;)

I also made a whole slew of major bugfixes today, I'd just like to have
two more items handled before doing 0.4:
- Sergio has been working on a dbus interface, it's almost ready to go
in.
- We need to sort out the first time dialog thing ..

> > > I also made some changes to the "first-time" dialog, I didn't make much
> > > sense to me [Certainly didn't "help" me as a user ...]
> > >
> > > The patch just changes the wording and swaps around the default [I guess
> > > most people wouldn't run a music player before having any music on their
> > > computer]
> > >
> > > Patch at :-
> > > http://www.leewillis.co.uk/muine/first_time.patch
> >
> > Yea, I agree the current solution isn't exactly elegant.. with huge
> > tooltips and all... however, but I think we should do the following at
> > startup:
> >
> > - Just use ~/Music if it exists
>
> Agree - although I think it should probably be $DESKTOP/Music or
> similar, but that kind of needs a whole set of desktop "standard"
> locations ...

Yea. Thanks a lot for taking starting up the discussion on this one ..

> > - Promote the use of a standard music dir like ~/Music, so that ripping
> > apps dump their files straight into a managed folder
>
> & don't forget web browsers saving downloaded content there ...

Yea ..

> > - Allow "power users" to keep using their /data/mp3
>
> Yes - especially for people with dual boot machines whose mp3s are on a different partition :)
> Also are you thinking that we should have iPod support? [or is that
> something you want to avoid?]

I'm not sure playing *from* the iPod is very useful. However, syncing to
the iPod, all the way... iPod donations accepted btw, as Lee put it ..
"will exchange 1 iPod for iPod support" ;)

Cheers,

Jorn