Re: [Muine] Groups and the main UI

> Quoting Jorn Baayen <jorn nl linux org>:

> > > I'd have suggested similar, but used a Notebook, and have the
> > > "categories" along the top. I did a similar mockup for choosing whether
> > > to browse by album, artist of genre, but it can easily be adapted, e.g.
> > >
> > > http://www.leewillis.co.uk/muine/add_album_mockup.png
> > >
> > > I know Jorn doesn't think this is particularly useful, however having
> > > used Media Player 9 for some time now it is actually very useful since I
> > > can often remember the name of an artist, but not the album, or vice
> > > versa!
> >
> > Hm.. atm I still fail to see how this changes anything.. because.. the
> > songs an albums are still in different sub-interfaces, so how does this
> > help you? It may very well be a good idea, but I just honestly fail to
> > see the use so far ..
> >
> > Jorn
>
> Yeah, it's a totally minor change. Speaking for myself, I just think I would
> find it a little more convenient that when I click "add music," everything I
> need to put audio into the playlist is *right there*. That's the appeal to me.
>
> Example, right now:
>
> "I'd like to listen to my London Calling album." <Add Album> <London Calling>
> "I'd also like to listen to the song 'Clumsy' by 'Our Lady Peace'" so <Close
> Album Window> <Add Song> <Our Lady Peace - Clumsy>
>
> This instead becomes:
>
> "I'd like to listen to my London Calling album." <Add Music> <Albums> <London
> Calling>
> "I'd also like to listen to the song 'Clumsy' by 'Our Lady Peace'" so <Songs
> Tab/Shortcut> <Our Lady Peace - Clumsy>
>
> So you get the same amount of clicks overall, but I guess the benefit to me is
> just being able to click on "Add Music" and being in ONE window where I can add
> music any way I want to. The big appeal to this way, for me, is that when I
> click on "Add Music," I don't close the window until I'm *DONE* adding my
> music. Right now, I'm adding music, closing a window, clicking on another
> button, and then adding more music. Even if it's the same amount of clicks,
> it's a mental thing: Clicking the X on a window title means I'm done doing
> something, in this case, Adding Music.

Ah, yea, I see the value now.. hrm.. very good point. I'm going to
ponder it some more ...

> I'm not sure what future plans are for Muine (I'm excited tho), I just thought
> it might be easier to add future stuff to tabs or shortcuts or whatever... like
> for example if Muine wanted to play CDs too, then you could just add a little
> "CD" shortcut, or if you wanted to list saved playlists under a "Playlists"
> shortcut. Rather than having to find a spot on the main window to add a new
> button for whatever feature may be on deck.

Shortcut bars are kinda odd widgets though.. users who are new to the
widget have absolutely no clue that it changes the view, I mean, there
is no visual indication that it does that, unlike with tabs ..

I agree its prettier, but I don't think shortcuts are the way to go.

> Just a thought I had, and it's a thought I had at 3:05am, so take it with a
> grain...
>
> Anyways, yeah, totally minor stuff. I'm sure it all comes down to user
> preference, this just seems to be mine. And it's such a kickass UI that I feel
> dumb bringing up something so small, but that's my way.

Any suggestions are welcome, from tiny to huge.. I can't figure
everything out on my own.. though I sometimes tend to think so ;)