Re: MeeGo

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Mike Turquette <mturquette gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org> wrote:
> I think we stop waiting for people to come use GNOME Mobile technologies and
> make it really attractive to application developers. If the GTK+ toolkit is
> really attractive to application developers, the mobile platforms/devices
> will make sure that they work on the their device.

Stormy,

I disagree and I think your view is a bit too developer-oriented.
Truth is that in the land of handsets there is little freedom.  It's
*hard* to put your favorite Distro X on a handheld to enable
application development in your favorite Toolkit Y.  Winning over
application developers does little good when your foundation software
isn't directly supported and deployed by handset vendors.  Furthermore
app developers will often go to whichever platform makes the best
business sense to them, regardless of development environment, toolkit
and programming language.

Its easy to wipe WinXP off a netbook and start toying with Distro X;
that war can be won in the hearts of developers.  However the handset
world is an entirely different beast and if GNOME Mobile is going to
win it needs to win at the handset manufacturer level, not the
application developer level.

But I think to win over the handset manufacturers we have to be able to show them that we will have lots of apps. Which will come from developers.

But I agree that in the mobile space we need strategic partnerships as well as good technology.

Stormy