Re: Organising an ARM performance drive?

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
> Hi Loic,
>
> Loïc Minier wrote:
>>  So there are various things you can run, but I think it's important to
>>  keep a goal in mind; for instance you can optimize for the speed of the
>>  python testsuite, or for VFP performance etc., but what you really care
>>  about is how fast the device performs this or that task, or how much
>>  power it uses overall.  Hence I think you first need to set some goals
>>  before trying to "improve performances".  For instance you might want
>>  the device to boot or to resume in a particular time, or you might want
>>  the list of applications to show up in a particular amount of time or
>>  the browser to startup or load web pages in a particular time.
>
> I agree that integration performance tests are important - some of the
> tests that you mention can be integrated into a build with the strace
> trick, and so you can quantify things, set concrete goals. Others which
> involve several applications are harder to test - things like using
> gnome-open to open a URL touch on a lot of different applications.
> Calling some function via DBus touches on lots of things, lots of
> possible sources of latency, and lots of difficulties for testing it
> cross platform.
>
> Any suggestions for a system integration performance test framework?
> Something we can use to test regressions and maybe integrate into jhbuild?
>
> In any case, I think that testing individual applications and libraries
> is useful independently of that - don't you agree?

I agree :-)

I'm happy to help in this effort.  I've been putting a lot of energy
into a OpenEmbedded based build of Gnome for OMAP3 devices like Beagle
and Overo.

In general performance is better than I expected, with a few
noticeable exceptions like gnome-system-tools which seem to take
forever to launch.

Steve