Re: Organising an ARM performance drive?

Hi Loic,

Loïc Minier wrote:
>  So there are various things you can run, but I think it's important to
>  keep a goal in mind; for instance you can optimize for the speed of the
>  python testsuite, or for VFP performance etc., but what you really care
>  about is how fast the device performs this or that task, or how much
>  power it uses overall.  Hence I think you first need to set some goals
>  before trying to "improve performances".  For instance you might want
>  the device to boot or to resume in a particular time, or you might want
>  the list of applications to show up in a particular amount of time or
>  the browser to startup or load web pages in a particular time.

I agree that integration performance tests are important - some of the
tests that you mention can be integrated into a build with the strace
trick, and so you can quantify things, set concrete goals. Others which
involve several applications are harder to test - things like using
gnome-open to open a URL touch on a lot of different applications.
Calling some function via DBus touches on lots of things, lots of
possible sources of latency, and lots of difficulties for testing it
cross platform.

Any suggestions for a system integration performance test framework?
Something we can use to test regressions and maybe integrate into jhbuild?

In any case, I think that testing individual applications and libraries
is useful independently of that - don't you agree?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary