Re: Initial draft of GNOME Mobile annual report article

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 13:06 +0100, ext Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> Luc Pionchon wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-12-26 at 20:50 +0100, ext Dave Neary wrote:
> > "Successes in mobile: Hildon moving upstream"
> >
> > I cannot understand what this means. As far as I know, Hildon did not
> > make any progress on the GNOME side since early 2008 (Feb~). I would
> > remove the statement.
>

> The bullet list at the top was simply an idea dump - that line came from
> a slide in a Nokia presentation at LinuxTag, I believe. When you dig
> into it, indeed, you see that Hildon got wider adoption through moblin
> this year, and also we've seen GTK+ releases with a lot of Hildon work
> included. As you say, we're lagging about a year behind the work done,
> thoughh.
>
> > About "performance fixes" at Nokia, you certainly want to credit Xan
> > Lopez.
>
> I would be interested in crediting by name all exceptional
> contributions. Stormy pointed out that I did not mention anyone in
> OpenedHand, moblin or Ubuntu by name, and I also didn't mention Xan. In
> fact, I didn't know he worked for Nokia - when he commits to GTK+, he
> uses xan gnome org
>
> Looking through the ChangeLog, I see surprisingly few comments
> mentioning "performance" at all. Anyone know why?

In general, performance change-sets may be small and just a few, still
with high performance impact. Also possibly not logged as such.

About GTK, performance improvements happened also in dependencies like
Cairo, and possibly Pango. Imendians like Tim, Mitch and Kris did a good
share of work, and possibly also others like Behdad and Carl Worth, I
guess. It has been a tedious work involving many people. If I would keep
a single name, I would mention the exceptional contribution of "M.
collaboration".

The exceptional achievement is that, at the origin of GNOME Mobile there
was a bunch of people blocked with GTK+2.6, because of the performance
of GTK+2.8. At that time Nokia had a dirty fork of GTK+ 2.6, and merging
in improvements from trunk was a significant effort.

Now, thanks to excellent collaboration, we at Nokia were able to ship
N810 and Maemo 4 with GTK+ 2.10. One of the important side effects is
that, we were catching up with the latest GTK+, decreasing our
maintenance burden.

This is a high level view, people who had their hands directly in can
correct or give more details.