Re: GNOME Mobile release notes

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 17:48 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> work is underway for the GNOME 2.24 release notes, and since this will
> be the inaugural release of the GNOME Mobile release set, I would like
> us to have some material in there.

There have been some changes to the module set since it was first
formulated, I'll go through those:

* gnome-vfs has been replaced, and replaced with gio/gvfs. Yay!

* sqlite has been added.  It's pretty ubiquitous on mobile and fits
those devices well

* HAL was added as a hardware abstraction layer doodah.  Since this
revised list was drawn up the Red Hat Mafia have announced DeviceKit,
which will rapidly make HAL obsolete.  This is a good thing because HAL
isn't exactly lean (which is why it is often not shipped on mobile
devices), and DeviceKit has the potential to be a lot leaner.

I'd like to see HAL removed from this list, as shipping something we
plan to replace in the next cycle if possible doesn't seem right.

Ross
--
Intel Open Source Technology Centre
http://oss.intel.com/