Re: GNOME Mobile release notes

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 17:48 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> work is underway for the GNOME 2.24 release notes, and since this will
> be the inaugural release of the GNOME Mobile release set, I would like
> us to have some material in there.

There have been some changes to the module set since it was first
formulated, I'll go through those:

* gnome-vfs has been replaced, and replaced with gio/gvfs. Yay!

* sqlite has been added.  It's pretty ubiquitous on mobile and fits
those devices well

* HAL was added as a hardware abstraction layer doodah.  Since this
revised list was drawn up the Red Hat Mafia have announced DeviceKit,
which will rapidly make HAL obsolete.  This is a good thing because HAL
isn't exactly lean (which is why it is often not shipped on mobile
devices), and DeviceKit has the potential to be a lot leaner.

I'd like to see HAL removed from this list, as shipping something we
plan to replace in the next cycle if possible doesn't seem right.

Intel Open Source Technology Centre