RE: Motorola splits - consequences for LiMo?

Folks--

I'm just back from a LiMo SDK task force meeting in Seoul, and got to
hang with a couple of my friends from Motorola, and asked them about
this. The change won't go into effect for a while, possibly not before
next year. I don't expect to see changes in direction prior to that, and
I'm not sure we'll see them--insofar as we're concerned here, in terms
of development stuff--after that.

(Motorola gave a nice presentation on their MotoDev program, and there
was a lot of interest in the notion of a similar "handset loaner
program" under the auspices of LiMo.

In any case, Motorola is very much committed (as is ACCESS, of course)
to keeping LiMo moving forward. We had a very productive meeting around
the shapes and architectures of the various SDKs (we foresee native,
Java, and Web-development-oriented "flavors" of the LiMo development
kit), and we've got a coherent plan for getting them out as quickly as
we can manage. ACCESS is spearheading the native SDK, and I'm hoping to
have something available 3Q08, maybe 4Q08. I'd like it to be sooner if
we could manage, but I want to set conservative expectations here.

We had some further discussion about better community engagement from
LiMo as well, and I'm hoping to have some concrete things to say about
that quite a bit sooner.

Best regards,

Lefty