Writing a press release pre-summit?

Hi all,

I've been thinking that we should try to get a news article/press
release out pre-summit to raise awareness of the project and
differentiate ourselves somewhat from the LF summit.

Does this sound like a good idea to people?

I have written something quick & dirty which I'd like to get opinions
on. As usual, it needs editing, I think it's a bit loose. If people
think (after taking into account your comments) it's good to go, then
I'll see about having it put up on the GNOME News site and diffusing it
a bit further.

Cheers,
Dave.

GNOME Mobile Summit to be held in Austin

The GNOME Mobile Summit being held as part of the Linux Foundation
Collaboration Summit in Austin from the 8th to the 10th of April will be
a forum where industry and community merge into one, enabling effective
collaboration on adapting the GNOME platform to the needs of mobile
computing.

The GNOME Mobile Initiative, which was launched last year, has already
held a number of meetings, and has garnered considerable community and
industry support.

Dave Neary, the co-ordinator of the GNOME Mobile track at the summit,
believes that this meeting will accelerate the adoption of the GNOME
platform on mobile devices. “Members of the GNOME Mobile group have been
realising the leverage that collaborating closely with a free software
community can give. Improved time to market, reduced R&D and maintenance
costs, and above all, a highly performant and capable application
platform on which to build your applications.”

Up to this point, the focus has been on co-ordinating integration
efforts and reducing the amount of code being maintained outside the
project, but that focus is expected to change as the initiative
continues to mature and grow.

Ross Burton of OpenedHand, recently appointed release manager of the
initiative, outlines his plans for the future of the project: “We are
now moving beyond the initial phase of co-operation which consisted in
people centralising work which they had been doing inside their
companies to the core products. The next step is a roadmap which will
systematically address the needs of consumers of the GNOME Mobile
platform and ensure that the work is done in the community, and the
creation of a mobile-specific release set of GNOME and GNOME-related
projects.”

GNOME Mobile has a growing number of members, including industry
heavyweights such as Nokia, ACCESS and FIC, the support of mobile
consortia LiPS, the Linux Foundation’s MLI and Moblin, and a growing
number of independent developers and community projects. Parts of the
GNOME Mobile stack are also used in the LiMo reference implementation.

--
Dave Neary
dneary free fr