Re: A New GNOME Order

]] Ross Burton

| On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 20:05 +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
| > A system wide download daemon, in the same spirit as f.ex mldonkey
| > lets every application feed a URL, torrent, etc. to the daemon and you
| > can get notified when the download completes with the notification
| > daemon.
|
| This is a non-trivial example, because a URL to download a file may be
| one-shot, require cookies or a specific referrer.  You can't just say
| "download this url" but "download this url with these headers, this
| cookie collection, this referrer and anything else relevant".  This sort
| of complexity is very common when designing session wide (I hope you
| didn't mean system wide!) daemons.

Or just have the application start the download and then pass the fd +
any metadata it knows about (be it file size, preferred name, etc) to a
daemon which handles the actual download and saving to disk.  This would
make it so an IRC client for instance could use the same service as a
web browser, without any the download manager having to understand how
HTTP or DCC works.

--
Tollef Fog Heen