Re: mobile-devel-list Digest, Vol 17, Issue 23

Stormy wrote:

If we are using existing GNOME desktop technologies and we aren't optimizing those technologies for GNOME Mobile, then what are we doing? Are we writing connectors, sharing experiences, are we a users group? A reference platform?

I'm ok being cement (sorry, Dave ;) but I guess I'm asking are we rebranding GNOME cement as GNOME Mobile cement? Or do we actually do anything to it in the process? Like change it or integrate it with other types of materials in a way that's good for mobile? (Either one is ok for me, I just want to be
able to articulate it cleary.)

We are, in fact, optimizing GNOME technologies for mobile use. It's just that such changes, so far, have also been of benefit to desktop users, or at least not detrimental.

For instance, Nokia's team did a yeoman job of replacing floating- point calculations in Cairo with fixed-point math. That resulted in some speedup on desktops, but massive, fantastic acceleration on ARM chips, which typically have to do floating-point math in software.

Similarly, I've made some changes to GDK and Pango (yup, need to submit those... :-) to fix a set of mobile-specific bugs related to non-atomic queries to X. You'd never see these on a desktop (well, not without getting a hernia), but if you take a small portable device that supports Xrandr and has orientation detection, and rapidly flip it between landscape and portrait orientation, weird things eventually happen to window and font sizes.

There are other areas that could use mobile-specific work. One that comes immediately to mind is that certain GTK widgets, such as GtkColorSelectionDialog and GtkFileChooserDialog, are much too large to fit on a cell phone screen. It would certainly be of benefit to the mobile development community to have alternate implementations or layouts for these widgets that can be used on small screens.

Let's say there's a spectrum. On the left is, "we're rebranding GNOME desktop but not really changing it." On the right is what's happened with OpenGL and OpenGL ES, which are related implementations for desktop and embedded systems, but aren't code-compatible.

As someone developing for GNOME Mobile, and watching what other people are doing, I'd say we tend toward the left - but we're not all the way there. It seems to me we clearly want to maintain a single code base for all GNOME technologies, but those of us working in the mobile space have no compunctions about making mobile-specific enhancements to that code base, as long as they don't damage other GNOME usage.