Re: Goal for GNOME Mobile?

So I'm hearing that:

GNOME Mobile is a project to make GNOME technologies effective for mobile devices. Using existing GNOME technologies the GNOME Mobile project supports mobile solutions from cell phones to tablets. GNOME Mobile provides the infrastructure for discussing the needs of mobile technologies and making changes to GNOME technologies to support mobile solutions. GNOME Mobile members include individuals working on GNOME technologies to companies providing mobile solutions built on GNOME technologies.

Obviously some wordsmithing is in order ...

Stormy

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 06:35 -0700, Stormy Peters wrote:
> You immediately made the vision GNOME components optimized for mobile.
> That
> works. But I've heard people say repeatedly that they aren't changed
> for
> mobile.

They definitely are improved for mobile use. But the changes did not
make them less suitable for desktop use. Some changes are good
everwhere, such as reduced power use. Other changes are optional at
build or runtime, allowing mobile developers to use them the changes
when necessary.

It's the same with the Linux kernel. It runs on large and small devices,
apparently without disadvantages to either. It's still Linux and that's
good.

Roughly, we have extended the range of possible hardware platforms for
these parts of GNOME, and sometimes extended the range of possible UI
experience.