Re: where to go

Hey, Philip,

Thanks very much for your help.

So mobile platform based on gnome already exists and is even mature like maemo. The main goal of GMAE is to standardize the functionalities of components and the interfaces between them so that they can work smoothly.
The standardization work should be based on existing platform like GPE or Maemo.  am I right ?

My other question is,

How to become a developer to contribute to this project?  GMAE have already selected teams and developers or you are still recruiting resource ?  Thanks again.

Regards,
Allen

Hey Allen,

As a currently available solution to putting a GNOME environment on a
mobile device you could already take a look at GPE or Maemo. Both
provide you with sufficient tools to customise them in such a way that
they can easily be deployed on a wide range of mobile devices (once you
have a kernel and for example KDrive running on it).

Although the Maemo distribution, right now, has a strong emphasis on the
Nokia products (the 770 and the N800), it consists of a lot of the exact
same components as for example ... GPE.

The GMAE initiative, though, is getting different teams and people
together to create the necessary synergy to get all the different
components working cooperatively together. This is happening right now,
indeed.

On one mobile device (instance) having competing components is usually
very uninteresting (on performance, on memory utilisation and on the
final UI experience. All of those depending on the component, of course)

ps. Although competition is very interesting and very needed in our
communities to achieve getting better than what other solutions offer, I
believe the answer for competitors is to nevertheless cooperate on
standardisation (for example via. freedesktop.org) and compete with each
other on implementation (if there is actual competition).

GMAE will indeed help you with knowing which components are recommended
and are compatible with which other component. Eventually it might also
cause some sort of standard set of components and mark specific
component's versions that identifies a distribution like GPE, Maemo,
Hiker, OLPC's Sugar, etc as "a typical GMAE one".

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 00:43 +0800, allen_mail wrote:
> Hi, Adilson / Naveen,

> I have the same question about this project as yours, I joined this
> maillist and don't know how to move ahead now. Let me introduce myself
> also.

> I am Allen from Motorola, working on LinuxJava Platform project.
> Several monthes ago,I was very curious about what would it be if we
> transplant gnome to mobile phones. Then I did some trying but
> eventually I gave up. It is really a big work for myself to do this.

> I am very excited with the news that gnome will develop gnome mobile
> platform, I joined this mailist immediately. I have mobile device
> developing experience, hopefully I can bring in my effort to this
> project.

> But I don't know where to go now, can anyone help give us some brief
> description about the progress/achievements and the plan ? Is there
> anything we can help ? Thanks very much.

> Regards,
> Allen

in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
to find your fit.