Splash screen (was: Re: [mlview-list] Website updates)

Hi,

On lun, 2004-09-20 at 11:03 -0400, Scott White wrote:
> Baptiste Mille-Mathias wrote:

> > I don't know if splash screen is a good thing :
> > It's useful when a soft take time to load some components (like
> > evolution) but for light soft like mlview, it not really useful, except
> > for cosmetic.
> > However we can make a small contest for the splash. :)

> Seriously, though, I like the idea of a splash screen contest!

I like the idea of having pretty pictures to represent mlview but I
disapprove the idea of having a splash screen in mlview.

First, mlview does not take a long time to start, and currently does not
load several components. You won't have the time to see the picture you
will choose.

Second, what people which are used to computers think when they see a
splash screen ? "It is slow." mlview is not currently slow and does not
need anything to hide the time it takes to start.

Finally, if you want to make a splash screen contest and other graphical
things, you can tweak the main window so it displays some kind of splash
screen in the main widget (the widget which will contain views) when no
document is open (so you have no parasite window and you know that the
application started quickly).

Cheers,

Nicolas Centa