Re: Turning compositing on and off at runtime

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 00:58, Evandro Fernandes Giovanini wrote:
> Em Qui, 2006-02-16 �08:40 -0700, Elijah Newren escreveu:
> > On 2/15/06, Rob Adams <readams readams net> wrote:
> > > It's not really a new feature; it just activates the currently dormant
> > > metacity compositing.  Maybe it could be committed without the schema?
> >
> > Compositing isn't a new feature, but that's kind of beside the point;
> > adding the ability to turn something on and off dynamically is itself
> > a new feature.  It may be one worth getting approval for, and since it
> > is relatively self-contained and has few side-effects or changes in UI
> > or anything that might otherwise be scary (with the exception of the
> > string freeze break which you suggest a workaround for), it might not
> > be too hard to get through the approval process this late.    The
> > question is whether it's worth the trouble or whether we should just
> > wait...
>
> Isn't this feature important for a11y? (the ability to run a different
> composite manager is important)

Well, it may have important a11y impact, in that a11y may need to do the
compositing (for magnification) instead of metacity (until/unless
metacity takes on the magnification service tasks).  For that reason,
it's potentially risky to either make it nonconfigurable, or even to
turn it on by default (and thus develop a 'dependency' on it).  Of
course we don't want magnifier users to be left behind when the other
cool compositing features land.

That said, I think the metacity team is aware of the a11y concerns and I
am optimistic that the end result will be very good for magnification as
well as everyone else.

Bill