Re: Newbie Question, "weird" traces

sam <sam manicsadness com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Memprof worked well for me once, but since one RedHat auto upgrade it
> doesn't... The traces do only show some leaks in libc, and leaks inside
> of the traced program aren't even detected.
> My program (and it's libraries) is compiled with the -g flag, gdb works
> well on it.
> I'm using the usual RedHat 7.3 configuration (glibc 2.2.5, gcc 2.96,
> kernel 2.4.18-10...) and Memprof 0.4.1.
> This tool was very helpful to me, and i hope it will be helpful again
> :).
> Pasting a complete memleak info probably isn't helpful for you? (and
> it's quite a lot for a mailing list)

Unfortunately, memprof tends to slowly rot with glibc, binutils,
and kernel changes ... too many dependencies on low level system
details. Between Red Hat 7.1 (when memprof-0.4.1 was released)
and Red Hat 7.3 + updates, there was enough change to cause it
to work distinctly less well, though I'm not sure I can point
to exactly one item that broke it.

Memprof-0.5.1 should work a whole lot better with modern tools, but it
also has dependencies on GNOME-2.0 libraries, so is going to be
difficult to get going on Red Hat 7.3.

Regards,
                                        Owen